Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why a PC isn't Windows  (Read 4104 times)
Mingamango181
Main Article Writer
Administrator
Minor Member

Insert coin to play.

« on: January 04, 2011, 12:02:20 AM »

Reading Speeder's recent blog post (which is here), I suppose it would be important to bring some of the discussion here, as well as place some input myself.

I can agree with many of the points that have been made. Windows cannot possibly be equal to a PC. You cannot compare those two together. It's rather like comparing a bed to a room. There's nothing really to compare them properly upon.

Nearly every machine, be it the gaming console, mobile phone or even television, is a PC. It takes data, be it read or input, and outputs it into something that is useful for the user.

The way that the wording is done is quite important, yet many still get it wrong, including those Apple ads that seem to poke at the 'PC', when they're in fact referring to Windows. Maybe that's how they've gotten away with it...

Speeder
Administrator
Newcomer

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:20:59 AM »

The apple ads are specially annoying, specially because the "Intel" Mac is a PC.

Mingamango181
Main Article Writer
Administrator
Minor Member

Insert coin to play.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 12:38:25 AM »

Indeed so. But, then, so are the PPC Macs. It stood for 'PowerPC', a type of processor that the Macintosh lines used from 1994 to 2006, by when Apple decided to move to Intel.

So, I suppose all of those are also computers...

Syniphas
Newcomer

certified crazy bastard

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 02:04:38 PM »

The way I see it, anything you can bring home and has a processor in it is a "personal computer". It's not a platform, it's not an architecture or design, it's what the name itself means: a personal computer.

Thanks to Mingamango181 for the above signature Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: